John wrote:

> I have just started using perl critic to analyse my code.
>
> I have often used @_ as a temporary array like this:
[..]
> Critic complains with 'Always unpack @_ first', why?
> What is so wrong with this usage?

anthony.okusa...@usbank.com gave an excellent response to what perl critic
means by 'always unpack @_ first'.

What I'd add is that Critic correctly identified the problem, but gave the
wrong flag.  The real problem here is
247. Don’t be clever.
People use @_ to pass parameters between subroutines.  Use of @_ for
temporary variables (like heavy use of $_) is too clever.

Better would be

  my @row_ary = $h_wk->selectrow_array("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM v_internals");

or even @temp_ary = to be more clear.  When people (and modules like
Perl::Critic) see @_, they think subroutine variables.

--woody

--

 Dr. Robert "Woody"     GBS Cybersecurity &
 Weaver                 Privacy

 IT Security Architect  Cell: 301-524-8138

--
What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite.