You should return the FDF contents and not the PDF contents:

Here is an example that returns an FDF file based on a form submission:

        #
        # This is the key to returning the FDF file
        #
        print "Content-type: application/vnd.fdf\n\n";

        #
        # Some adobe magic ...
        #
        $fdf = "\%FDF-1.2\n\%\a\a\I\O\n\a\n1 0 obj \n<< \n/FDF << /Fields [
";

        #
        # Return the fields passed to script back in an FDF file
        # (build up the FDF string)
        #
        @names = $query->param;
        foreach $item (@names)
                {
              $pvalue = param($item);
                $fdf .= "<< \/V (".$pvalue.")\/T (".$item.")>>\n";
                }
        #
        # Insert your server host name and PDF file name
        #
        $fdf .= "\n] \n/F
(http://yourserverhost/yourpdffile.pdf)>>\n>>\nendobj\ntrailer\n<<\n/Root 1
0 R \n\n>>\n\%\%EOF\n";

        #
        # example of field value substitution
        # substitute the value in the FDF field named form.client.name.last
with value of lastname
        #
\(.*formname\.client\.name\.last.*)/$1$lastname$3/ms;

        #
        # Send the fdf file back. The PDF is referenced from the FDF file.
        #
        print $fdf;