On Nov 3, 2005, at 9:05, Reinhard Pagitsch wrote:

Xavier Noria wrote:
I founded nothing about slices in perlguts, perlxs*, or perlapi (where are they documented?), so I wrote this little utility to take a slice from AV* data using the indices in AV* indices (integers), and put the result in AV* out (indices and out are guaranteed to have the same length):
void __slice(AV* indices, AV* data, AV* out) {
     int i;
     I32 last_index;
     I32 index;
     SV* val;
     last_index = av_len(indices);
     for (i = 0; i <= last_index; ++i) {
          index = SvIVX(*av_fetch(indices, i, 0));
          val = *av_fetch(data, index, 0);
          av_store(out, i, newSVsv(val));
     }
}
I am just starting to play around with the C API. Is this code right as far as XS is concerned? Is there a better idiom?

I do not understand what you mean. The code you posted here is only to make a copy of the array data and put it into the array out.

Yes, the subroutine has a bad name, it should be called __slice_and_copy.

void __slice(AV* data, AV* out) {
      int i;
      I32 max;

      max = av_len(data);
      for (i = 0; i <= max; ++i) {
           av_store(out, i, newSVsv(*av_fetch(data, i, 0)));
      }
 }

The difference is that you're copying the entire data into out, whereas in the code I sent only the slice indicated by indices is copied. My code is (wants to be) the C equivalent of

    @out = @[EMAIL PROTECTED];

In the book "Extending and Embedding Perl" from TIM JENNESS and SIMON COZENS I found something about slices, but I do not know if it is what you want.

I have yet to buy it, would you please summarise what they say about array slices?

-- fxn