> Am I right that this amounts to less than 1Meg (EastAsian.db +
> UTF8.db)? Depending on your system and your needs (more
> speed?), that may not be considered large and might fit into
> memory fine.  Otherwise, I think any of the in-core (non-DB_File)
> DBM files ought to suffice for that amount of data.

Which in-core dbm modules are these? I thought DB_File was the defacto
standard for doing this...

As for the memory, it's not really the memory which I'm concerned
about as much as it is the time it would take to build the database
everytime someone used the MARC::Charset module. Perhaps I'm falling
victim to the curse of premature optimization again though. If I had a
text file of 16,000 mappings that was read in everytime someone did a:

    use MARC::Charset;

would people be put out? I imagine folks in mod_perl environments
wouldn't care too much--although a MB of ram for each apache process
has a way of adding up. At least for high volume sites.

//Ed