Brad Baxter wrote:
On 5/3/06, Michael Kreyche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The term "position" ("pos") seems a little ambiguous to me on the face
of it. Does (code => 'u', pos => 0) mean "the first subfield u" (which
is what  I take it to mean) or "subfield u if it's the first subfield"
(which it might sound like outside the context of this discussion)?

I had the same thought.  To me, 'occur' has a clearer meaning in
that context, "the zeroth occurrence of subfield 'u'", while 'pos' has
more of the ambiguity described above.  So of the two, I'd prefer
'occur', but I can live with 'pos'.  Synonyms perhaps?  (Unless someone
has a need to delete the third subfield regardless of code?  I never
have, so perhaps not.)

--
Brad

I think it should mean "the zeroth occurrence of subfield 'u'", since specifying which of a repeated group of subfields is a realistic task, as you say. For example, each record has two 'u's but all of the first ones are garbage.

Mark

--
Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems