On Mar 27, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Eric Lease Morgan <emor...@nd.edu> wrote:

> When it calls as_usmarc, I think MARC::Batch tries to honor the value set in
> position #9 of the leader. In other words, if the leader is empty, then it
> tries to output records as MARC-8, and when the leader is a value of "a", it
> tries to encode the data as UTF-8.

How can I figure out whether or not a MARC record contains ONLY characters from
the UTF-8 character set?

Put another way, how can I determine whether or not position #9 of a given MARC
leader is accurate? If position #9 is an "a", then how can I read the balance
of the record to determine whether or not all the characters really and truly
are UTF-8 encoded?

--
Eric "This Is Almost Too Much For Me" Morgan