On 5 Jun 2005, at 13:33, John Peacock wrote:
Dominic Dunlop wrote:
I don't think it's reasonable to ask perl to do anything sensible or helpful when presented with a decimal_point this silly.

Actually, I'm on the other side of the fence now (now that I looked at the code). It does appear that Perl intends to correctly handle other radix characters than period (although toke.c only understands that one). I haven't exactly worked out the sequence of events but it's clear that 'use locale' does munge the input sufficiently so that non-period radixes should be interpreted properly.

Even two-character ones like we have here? I suppose so, as the C standard shows struct lconv having char *'s for all such fields.

What I realized was that the one character that has even more special behavior is the single quote. This used to be used (pre Perl5?) as the package qualifier (what we now use :: for), so the "numbers" in question area probably being parsed as weird package variables, so locale cannot do anything useful with them.

Wow. That takes me back. Yes, I remember using that now...
--
Dominic Dunlop