dLux wrote:

> /--- On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 12:30:25PM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> | > Still not good. "trans" is too overloaded word. "transaction"?
> | > "transactional"? (a bit too long...) "atomic"?
> |
> | "acid"?
> \---
>
> "transactional" and "transaction" are quite long, I don't like that.
>
> "acid"  could  be  misleading  in  this  case:  this  is  a  different
> transaction mechanism that most db server has.

No, it's misleading because it's only the C of ACID. (It's neither
atomic nor durable, and only isolated if you ask for it.)

> "atomic" will  not be  true if  you don't  use "user  transaction" (in
> multithreaded environment, and with objects).
>
> Other suggestions? I  want a keyword, which expresses  more the nature
> of  the perl  transaction: the  value is  permanent if  the code  runs
> correctly,  and  will  be  lost  if the  code  has  died.  What  about
> "onsuccess",  "consistent", "?  I personally  prefer "trans",  because
> it is short and clean-cut.
>
> Other idea?

"cond" for conditional?

Or how about "hopefully"? :-)

Or maybe just "please", since it implies a request that could be denied?

group "1" $x = $y + 1;
defaulting to
group $Package::TRANSACTION_ID $x = $y + 1?

(I'm thinking there of having an arbitrary number of overlapping groups
that can be individually committed or rolled back, with scope exits only
having an effect if they aren't yet committed or rolled back.)

Or what about a variable attribute:

my $x : transactional

and making the effect completely lexical? Why would other scopes need to
see such variables?