>On 27 Aug 2000 19:23:51 -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:

>>It only removes whitespace,
>>and it measures whitespace with tabs=8.

>My editor is set to tabs=4.

So don't do that.  :set sw=4 ts=8.  I am confident that were Dante
were writing now, he'd reserve a special pit of Hell for those who
alter the appearance of their physical tab stops, consigning to the
flames all but the standard eight.

>Perl's interpretation wouldn't agree with
>the visual appearance in my editor. This doesn't sound like a neat
>solution.

>Why not disallow merging of tabs and spaces as being equivalent?

That would be wicked: this was one of the fundamental flaws of make.
Let's learn from past mistakes, and not do that.  Anything else
would be extreme folly, and probably evil and wrong to boot.

--tom