> >         1. Return the number of matches
> >
> >         2. Iterate over each match in sequence
> >
> >         3. Return list of all matches
> >
> >         4. Return a list of backreferences
>
> Please see RFC 164. It can handle all of 1-3.

You seem to have missed my point.  I'm not asking for a notation that
can do all these four things.  We have such a notation already.

I'm asking for a notation that does these things *orthogonally* and
*consistently*.

As nearly as I can tell RFC164 doesn't address this at all.
It's basically syntactic sugar for the same mess we have now.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.