Dan Sugalski wrote:
> I expect we'd want to have some sort of heavy-duty regex optimizer, then,
> to detect common prefixes and subexpressions and suchlike things, otherwise
> we end up with a rather monstrous alternation sequence...

We need a regex merge function too -- then we could write macros that
extend the parser. Domain languages! Lexically scoped of course. ;)

Obviously we're going to need a new expansion for "regex" because these
things aren't regular expressions anymore. (Not that Perl has had regular
expressions for a long time...) Really easy grammar experiments?

- Ken