Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   >> many systems allow for a global/local startup file for various
>   >> reasons. i see a potential use of this in perl but i don't see the
>   >> specific use yet. build it they will use it.
>
>   TC> But Perl is not an interactive shell!  Can you imagine if a C
>   TC> compiler allowed arbitrary amounts of text to be pre-included
>
> and what about the proposals for an interactive perl? maybe they should
> support this.

An interactive Perl can certainly read some options, just like a
debugger.  This is not specific to Perl, of course; GDB, for one
example, also reads configuration files when loading.  But that
doesn't mean GCC reads a configuration file to tell it what type of C
code the system administrator has decided to mandate!

Configuration files for C<perl -d>, an interactive Perl, C<perldl>,
and any other application written in Perl are a nice idea (one that
TomC seems to support).  This has nothing to do with wanting to
configure the language itself.

[...]

--
Ariel Scolnicov        |"GCAAGAATTGAACTGTAG"            | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Compugen Ltd.          |Tel: +972-2-5713025 (Jerusalem) \ We recycle all our Hz