On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 12:14:17AM -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > The decisions should be based on technical merit and general availability.
>
> I would include "available under a free software license" as part of the
> definition of "general availability".

Bradley, your argument against perforce really sounds like you're saying
your uncomfortable with non-free software in general, not with perforce
in particular.  I haven't heard a reason to switch to CVS yet[*].

> For example, perforce doesn't ship standard with operating system
> distributions such as Red Hat, Debian, and FreeBSD, because it isn't under a
> free software license.  However, CVS does ship with those systems.

There's a p4 client in the FreeBSD ports tree, and if I were to check my
FreeBSD 4.1 distribution set which arrived yesterday, I'd probably find
a package all ready to install.  No, it's not a souce distribution, but
it's bundled with FreeBSD in the same way that python, Gnome and qmail are.

> Also, what if people want to learn how the source system works on their own,
> and experiment with it?

http://www.perforce.com has freely downloadable clients and 2-user
servers.  Most people learn how to use CVS on local repositories, and
I don't see why Perforce would be any different.

> With only 100-user license, we are pretty tight as
> to who can do that.  There are probably more than 100 people on the various
> perl6 mailing lists who'd want to at least experiment with the system on
> their own.

People shouldn't be playing around in the Perl repository to learn
Perforce.

And 100 users is a *lot*.  Many free software projects are running
CVS with fewer than 100 users with write access to the repository,
and a mechanism for a random contributor to submit patches and
contributions without having write access.  Why should Perl be any
different?

Z.

[*] The biggest reason IMNSHO to use CVS is to encourage people
    to hack the source; more people know and use CVS on a daily basis
    than use perforce, at least in the free software community.

    That said, maintaining a mirror in CVS would accomplish that
    for anonymous access, as would a perforce-to-CVS gateway.

    Both approaches are being discussed.