On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 09:57:31PM -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Brent Dax wrote:
>
> > Damian Conway:
> > # Neither. You need:
> > #
> > #          $roundor7 = rx /<<roundascii>+[17]>/
> > #
> > # That is: the union of the two character classes.
> >
> > How can you be sure that <roundascii> is implemented as a character
> > class, as opposed to (say) an alternation?
>
> What's the difference? :)
>
> Neglecting internals, semantically what I<is> the difference?

I think the point still stands. How can you be sure that <roundascii> is
implemented as a character class instead of being some other arbitrary
rule? An answer is that perl should know how these things are
implemented and if you try arithmetic on something that's not a
character class, it should carp appropriately. Another answer might be
that <<roundascii>+[17]> is actually syntactically illegal and you MUST
perform character class arithmetic as <[abc]+[def]>.

Somehow I prefer the former to the latter.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]