At 8:53 PM -0400 9/5/02, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:
>On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 16:20, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>>
>>  *) I think we may have to have separate vtable operations for hyperoperators
>
>>  *) I think I've finally given in, and vtables will be hierarchical
>
>Being vtable-ignorant in general:
>
>1) How big is *too* big (for the regular vtable)

Well, we're at 252 entries now. That's almost 1K per vtable.

>2) How big is *too* big (for the heirarchical vtable)

I'm not sure. I'm OK putting everything that's reasonably
overloadable into the vtable, but I'm not sure how much, past
potentially the math operators and hyperoperators, we have to add.

>3) Ops that can't/won't fit are done as a sub call, right?

Yep. Or at least the core has code to do the function--we may not
actually call a method/sub/whatever at the parrot level.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk