At 5:16 PM +0530 11/13/02, Gopal V wrote:
If memory serves me right, Markus Laire wrote:
 Miniparrot can then be used to build everything else, including full
 parrot, perl6, other parrot-supported languaged, etc..

 This 2nd step might be e.g. Bytecode-compiled perl6-program which is
 simple enough to work with miniparrot.
Please for heaven's sake don't write a perl6 compiler in perl6 ... It's
*very* frustrating if I have to download version 1 to compile 1.1 and
so on...
Oh, absolutely not. That's way too much of a headache, and too much of a dependency.

The goal is for Parrot to require a C compiler and a platform shell or Make tool (either one) and that's it. We will ship with bytecode files that have the bits needed for the build precompiled, so if the perl compiler's partially written in perl, we'll ship a perl6.pbc in the distribution.

Yes, this will mean that people doing development on parrot will need a working parrot setup, but as that should be easy enough to get (given that it'll be available as a standalone distribution) it shouldn't be a problem except on new and unusual platforms. Hopefully not there, even, if proper tweaks to the core C code can be made.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk