At 09:43 2002-11-13 -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
I thought about putting something of the sort into perldpodspec and Pod::Simple, but didn't see a particularly clean way to have it so that 1) you wouldn't have to depend on a particular Pod-parsing module, and which 2) could work in cases where the Pod-parser and the formatter are sanely segregated.
I'd say that neither of those characteristics is true of Perl 5's C<use>, and yet that's how we got CPAN. Cleanliness is nice, but extensibility is crucial.
Well, I have been writing Pod::Simple with the goal of it being the only Pod parser anyone would ever want to use.
But I wouldn't object if it were the only Pod parser anyone could ever use -- or at least "=use" with. After all, like XML::Parser (well, plus SAX), it presents every kind of sane markup interface anyone would ever want.

--
Sean M. Burke http://search.cpan.org/author/sburke/