Larry Wall wrote:

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:51:32PM -0500, Rod Adams wrote:

: Unless, of course, there is some subtle difference between a 3-d hash : and a hash of hashes of hashes that invalidates this.

No difference, I hope. The multidimensional notation is meant
to extend to HoH and AoA transparently (as well as HoA and AoH).
Since a variable's dimensionality is always declared (and a container
object's dimensionality generated at "new" time), we shouldn't have
to worry about whether to add dimensions or autovivify a reference.
Either there's storage already allocated, or we autovivify.

Hmm. So if I say:

   @a = [ { a => 1, b => 2}, { a => 3, b => 4 } ];

Can I then say:

And get $x = 4?

And that gets me wondering what the real difference between .[] and .{} is. Best I can tell, it's only how they autovivify dimensions not yet existent. Which would make the following an error:

Since it would attempt to autovivify @a[2] as an array, and 'a' is an invalid array subscript (unless you do some voodoo to arrays). However,

Should work fine, since the first dim already has storage as an array, and the second gets autovivified as a hash.

All of this changes if you explicitly declared the shape of @a somewhere.

Of course, it's entirely possible I've completely misconstrued your above statement.

-- Rod Adams