On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 04:02 -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> I am currently failing to see the need for a distinction between $.
> and $: .  The only difference is in whether accessors are *generated*;

Not at all! There are numerous differences as described in A12:

      * The attribute gets a "private" trait
      * "we basically force people to document the private/public
        distinction every place they reference $:x" -A12
      * Prevents access to class variables (e.g. using "our") from
        outside the class.
      * %$obj notation includes private attributes when inside, but not
        when outside the class
      * Private variables use a different dispatcher.

  • Re: Why $.? Aaron Sherman