On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:10:11AM -0800, yary wrote:
: A slight digression on a point of fact-
:
: On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Larry Wall <la...@wall.org> wrote:
: ...
: > You are correct that the one-pass parsing is non-negotiable; this is
: > how humans think, even when dealing with unknown names.
:
: It's common for people to read a passage twice when encountering
: something unfamiliar. That's on the large level. And even on the small
: level of reading for the first time, people don't read completely
: linearly, "skilled readers make regressions back to material already
: read about 15 percent of the time." -
: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_in_language_reading (and I
: read about that elsewhere years ago, wikipedia happens to be the most
: convenient reference.)
:
: I'm not arguing against 1-pass parsing for Perl6, just reminding that
: humans are complicated. And Larry's quote is "how humans think"
: whereas the research on eye jumps is about "how humans read" which are
: not exactly the same...

True enough; I was thinking primarily about the parsing of spoken
speech, where one generally doesn't have the option to replay beyond
what you can remember.  And Perl 6 is arguably more textual than aural.

Larry