> Which is pretty powerful, really.

Absolutely - I think you're referring to the 'type subset' stuff which
is great.

> This is where Perl 6 is not the same as functional
> languages, since it's got an imperative OO element as well.

True, there can be friction between the functional style and OO, but
look at how Scala manages it with case classes.  When you look at the
implementation, really it boils down to syntactic sugar but then so do
many of the cool new features in Perl 6!

I bring this up because when thinking of what will be possible with
lazy evaluation, junctions, named parameter shorthand, closures, etc.,
etc., somehow pattern matching screams out at me.  It can be concise,
expressive and unambiguous, and very complementary to Perl 6's
existing feature set.  I know a lot of work went into bringing
functional and OO together to make Scala happen, so certainly there
may be impracticalities in just 'adding pattern matching'.

Scala case classes: http://www.scala-lang.org/node/107 or
http://programming-scala.labs.oreilly.com/ch06.html#CaseClasses