Well then.  It is impossible to rearchitect it to make it shared
text?  Perhaps the first instance of perl sets up some vast shared
memory segments and a way for the newcomers to link in to it and look
at the modules that have been loaded, somewhere on this system, and use
the common copy?

This handwringing naysaying is depressing.

Tom Christiansen wrote:

> Disastrously, you will then also lose the shared text component,
> which is what makes all this cheap when Perl loads.  Since the
> modules will have to be pasted in the data segment of each process
> that wants them, they aren't going to be in a shared region, except
> perhaps for some of the non-perl parts of them on certain architectures.
> But certainly the Perl parts are *NEVER* shared.

This sounds like a problem to be fixed.  Relax, Tom, we'll take it from
here.

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                        Ask me about sidewalk eggs