Russ Allbery wrote:

> I've fiddled with this before and can do text to HTML; the rest is just a
> question of picking different backends and shouldn't be *too* hard.  All
> the heuristics for parsing text are inherently fragile, but if you follow
> a standard text formatting style, it works reasonably well.

Which is precisely the reason for suggesting XML - it doesn't rely on
'fragile heuristics' to get the parsing right.  POD suffers from the
same problem to some extent, and I really can't see how typing =head1 is
better than typing <head1> - well apart from being one character
shorter, that is.

However, having previously been told to shut up on this subject, I now
will.

Alan Burlison