On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, H . Merijn Brand wrote:

> HP-UX is very unwilling at this stage, including two show-stoppers
>
> 1. The LDFLAGS is extended with flags from config that are meant to be passed
>    to cc, not to ld

Odd.  On most Unix systems, $Config{ld} = 'cc'.  Calling ld directly is
usually tricky and usually results in missing things (such as crt0).
However, sometimes, on some systems, one needs to call ld directly (such
as building a shared library).

For perl5, the main makefile calls (essentially)

        $(CC) -o perl

while the parrot Makefile calls

        $(LD) -o test_main

I tend to think parrot's wrong here, but there might have been a good
reason for doing that way that I am unaware of.

    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042