Well, I thought this was only an issue with massively large programs (of which I have *far* too many), but I'm making IMCC fall over and die with subs of less than 6k-lines of PIR. (5945 lines, counting the sub start and end lines, with old style (.pcc_begin/.pcc_end) function calls) In this case I'm hitting the double spill error, but this is, I expect, tied in with the infinite loop the register spiller hits on some code.

That's a small enough sub that I can see us reasonably hitting this with regular compilers compiling non-braindead languages, so we need to move up the priority on fixing this.

It's probably a Leo or Melvin thing (unless anyone's see Angel Faus recently) to thump the register spilling code to have a fairly stupid fallback scheme (after X tries, or when we hit double spill) rather than trying to be optimal, but this one's going to need to get addressed.