On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:05:32PM +0100, Leon Brocard wrote:
> Dan Sugalski sent the following bits through the ether:
>
> > I'd like everyone to give a welcome to Patrick Michaud, who's
> > volunteered to officially take charge of getting the Perl 6 compiler
> > module written.
>
> Welcome Patrick! What's your plan of attack?

Hello, Leon and everyone else.  I'm glad to be aboard, and hope you'll all
bear with me as we get things started.

The "plan of attack" is that we're going to design and build a
Perl 6 grammar/rules engine first, and simultaneously with that we'll
be solidifying the (default) Perl 6 grammar itself.  Since many parts
of Perl 6 are still changing, we'll likely take a "snapshot" of the
current design as our immediate target, but keep an eye on
perl6-language and other forums to make sure we don't paint ourselves
into an implementation corner.

Luke Palmer and I started work on the grammar engine this past week.
It's a wee bit too early in the process for us to be making any
promises about when people might be seeing releases and the like.
But I think he and I are in agreement that we'd like to have a grammar
engine substantially completed (at least to the level of being able
to "bootstrap" a Perl 6 compiler) within the next 3-4 months.

It'll take another few days for Luke and I to get our detailed plans
together.  We will likely want to create a separate mailing list
for discussions of the compiler and grammer engines, and leave
perl6-internals with a parrot focus (or possibly rename it as well).

Overall I'd like to see us release a good implementation of the basic
Perl 6 compiler engine within the next 12 months or so.  But we'll have
a much better idea of timelines as we start to work on the grammar
engine, and as we see how Parrot matures in the next few months, and
I'll be sending questions and status reports to the lists every couple
of weeks so that people can gauge progress.  I'm a strong believer
in "release-early, release-often" and in making items available for
rapid feedback.

Pm