Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> At 04:21 PM 11/8/2001 -0800, John Rudd wrote:
>>So, does this mean my other heart's desire of operator overloading might
>>be coming forth?  (I know, I know, here I am, a smalltalker, asking for
>>operator overloading ... but, what are the smalltalkers gonna do, take
>>away my membership card?)
>
> What, you mean being able to override the + function for a variable,
> complete with method dispatch depending on the types of the variables
> on both sides of the +?
>
> Yup.... ;)

Um, you do realise you don't need multi dispatch to do operator
overloading don't you?

    package Foo;

    use overload
        '+' => my_add,
        ;

    sub my_add {
        my $self = shift;
        my $target = shift;

        $target->add_Foo($self);
    }

And we can do that today. 'cept it's something of a PITA because
'real' numbers don't respond to object methods.

Every so often I find myself thinking 'I should implement something
that automagically turns all numbers and strings into objects', but
there's always something more important to do.

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?