NT> This is good for comparison but bad for math.  Epoch seconds are
NT> good for both.  That's why *I* use them.  You can continue to use
NT> ISO mumble and have it work for you.  I'm not breaking your code.

NT> There's also the issue that Perl code should (where practical) be
NT> portable by default.  Perl tries to cover up operating system
NT> oddities.  This is one oddity that can (and, I think, should) be
NT> covered up.

I really don't care. As long as I can _easily_ convert it to the
system native format.

So are you proposing that perl carry/develop/borrow/steal its own
date/time library?

Because if you do pick an epoch, the native library may not be able to
carry you far enough. So pick your poison, are we subject to the whims
of the platform or should we stand on our own two feet?

Strange thought just crossed my mind.

Would having a time object that is understood by perl be sufficient?
It would smell and taste like an integer but would otherwise be
magical.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183