>> for ($x,$y,$z) (@a1,@a2,4..12,@a4) { ... }
>>
>> Probably we'll have to say that the user must explicitly zip if that
>> is what is desired.

PS> Yes, please.  I view the flattening of lists as a feature, not a bug, and
PS> it has made Perl a lot easier to understand IMHO.

I view it as a mis-feature. One is unable to return multiple arrays,
or to pass through multiple arrays without resorting to messy extra
punctuation characters.

It makes it 'necessary' to explode items onto the stack to operate properly.
(Yes, this can be optomized away, but retrofiting iterators and other
handling is probably a mess.)

The special case where the number of loop variables and the number of
supplied lists are equal should be either made explicit or optomized
if zip/merge/whatever is used.

Or
        for ($x,$y,$z) ( (@x,@y,@z) )

an extra set of parenthesis could do the flattening. (only one list
is 'visible' as the argument to the for.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183