>> Perhaps $/ and $\ should become per-filehandle variables, and
>> there should be some way to set autochomp-on-read per filehandle,
>> and auto-newline-on-output per filehandle.

RP> I can see a small benefit for autochomp-on-read but none whatsoever
RP> for auto-newline-on-output (even if you could decide when to send it).

Use this all the time. perl -wl (or #!/usr/local/bin/perl -wl)

It autochomps and then adds back the newline on the way out. Great for
one liners, and in general when doing line at a time filter
processing.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183