DC> This would work:

DC>     footer => sub { "$From - $To" }

DC> except there's no way of setting the $From and $To variables as
DC> each page is formatted. I don't think C<format> by itself is the
DC> right solution for this problem, unless I add some kind of weird
DC> monitoring option.

DC> That's probably beyond the scope of this RFC at present.

Why not add it?  The formating code is seeing all the values going
through. So why not save them?

If you don't want to do the monitoring, then some hook that is called
just after the header or before the first line, and just after the
last or before the footer.

I must of missed it but what is the mechanism to force a page break?

And is there a way of keeping a format emission either together or
to allow them to be spread across a page break? (keep together/ widow
control)

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183