> >   PRL>     -w  fwriteable()
> >   PRL>     -x  fexecable()
> >   PRL>     -o  fowned()
> >
> >   PRL>     -R  Freadable()
> >   PRL>     -W  Fwriteable()
> >   PRL>     -X  Fexecable()
> >   PRL>     -O  Fowned()
> >
> > this looks decent to me.
>
> I reserve the right to switch to readable/writeable iff the socket/exists
> issue has a resolution.  Thoughts anyone?

I actually like the above because of the common prefix. It makes it
quite clear these are file tests.

> > maybe make the prefix f_ to make it a little
> > more readable (overriding that word again! :)?
>
> I can't think of any builtins that use _

Indeed, no builtins include _. In fact, the warning

   Unquoted string "stuff" may clash with future reserved word

is only raised if:

  You used a bareword that might someday be claimed as a
  reserved word. It's best to put such a word in quotes,
  or capitalize it somehow, or insert an underbar into it.

> > also f/Fexecable() looks very odd.
>
> Patches welcome for f/F.

Yeah, mixed case gives me the willies! Bigtime. Plus, see above. Here's
some:

   frealreadable()
   frealwriteable()
   frealexecable()
   frealowned

I was going to list other alternatives, but I think those work just
fine, personally. Long is not necessarily bad; this is "use english"
after all.

-Nate