  JP> Is that really an improvement?

  JP> Every programmer understands right-to-left data flow when it's
  JP> written with parentheses.  Perl novices just need to understand
  JP> that

  JP> map { & } sort { & } map { & } @

  JP> is a mere syntactic rewrite of

  JP> map( &, sort( &, map( &, @ ) ) )

well, if anyone is so inclined, they can take over my Sort::Records
module which is gathering major dust. it could be a standard module in
perl6 and help out lots of people. its goal was/is to have the code
describe the sort fields in any complex data tree or string. the module
generates the perl code to extract the fields into a GRT makes a sub out
of that. then you can pass that object lists of records and then do a
sort. you can print out the generated code too for cutting and
pasting. the sort object is reusable with other lists of data. input
records can be strings, or any perl [LH]o[LH]. actual sort keys have to
be scalars and they can be extracted via m// or substr or even custom
callback code.

so this eliminates the need to explicitly use map/sort/map and does all
the key extraction and record management. no need to figure out the code
for a schwartz (drop the 'ian') or GR transform.

the basic design and coding was done but not finished. it got code
reviewed and than i shelved it.

any interest? i would help out but i can't drive the project now.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting