At 04:01 PM 4/10/2002 -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> > >     $.foo
> >
> > It's already defined as an instance variable.
>
>I don't think I like that. Instance variables are far more common that
>class variables, so why not just $foo, and you could  use a compile-time
>property for class variables. Like C<is private> as discussed. That or
>C<is static>. I think the latter makes more sense.
>
>Or is there some reason this wouldn't work?

I totally agree here. The common case is going to make code
look ugly with $.foo everywhere. Please don't let this come into being. :(

I think it is arguable that a closure is a class for a subroutine object,
and in subs we will still use my $foo for lexicals. However we must
remember in class scope to use $.foo for the default, instance variable,
and a normal $foo for the less typical static or class variables.

Yucky.

Reserve the ugly syntax for the less common case.
Pleeeease.

-Melvin