On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 12:33 PM, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

Ah, shouldn't optimization be automatic? Much preferrable to provide
opt-out optimizations instead of opt-in optimizations.

No. That's why I tend to opt-out of writing in C and opt-in to writing Perl.

Perl (all versions) and Parrot are built around the assumption that just about anything can change at run-time. Optimizing the language for the sake of optimization at the expense of programmer convenience doesn't feel very Perlish to me.

-- c