On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 14:22, Juerd wrote:

> Actually, can't we just use the . for s///?

Well, that brings up something that I don't think Larry has covered yet.
That is, it brings into question what s/// *is* in the grammar.

Is it a special type of calling convention, e.g.:

        sub s (Regex $pat, Str $replace, bool ?$i) is doublequotelike returns(Str) {
                bool $did = false;
                if my $match = ($CALLER::_ =~ m:i($i)/$pat/) {
                        $match = $replace;
                        $did = true;
                }
                return $did;
        }

or is it something more deeply buried in the parser? If it's just
quoting, then that's (relatively) easy:

        class String {
                method s (...) is doublequotelike ... {...}
        }

Otherwise, you would have to bury this deep in the parser as a special
case with the definition of s/// and that seems of questionable value
for the complexity you add.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith