On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 18:44, John Siracusa wrote:

Without commenting on the issue of single-file bundling...

> To bring it home, I think packaging and distribution is important enough to
> warrant a standard, core-supported implementation.

> I think the "specially structured dir of files" and its single-file packaged
> (and precompiled) variants are important enough to be standardized, or
> "core", or whatever you want to call it.

... you can find almost anyone arguing this point for almost any
feature.  I'm inclined to distrust it.

> I just don't see a way to achieve this level of transparency and
> elegance without core support.

That's a much better gauge for whether a feature should go into the
core.  I don't know how this particular case fares with that metric, but
it's one of the right questions to ask.

-- c