Michele Dondi wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Adam Kennedy wrote:

I thought it was about time I brought some concerns I've been having lately to the list. Not so much on any particular problem with perl6, but on problems with perl5 we would seem to have the opportunity to fix but aren't. (So far as I can tell).

So why not discussing this somewhere else? (e.g. clpmisc)

One of the biggest problems I have had with perl5 is that nothing, not even perl itself, can truly actually "parse" Perl source. By this, I mean "parse"

False:

"[Nothing but] perl can parse Perl." (Tom Christiansen)

Please see Acme::BadExample. perl itself cannot "parse" this at all, and yet it follows the absolutely most basic syntax for the language.

And just after the snip you will see I qualify "parse" in this context as loading the perl in some form of DOM-type tree.

Adam