Jon Ericson writes:
> Matthew Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > James Mastros wrote:
> >> ...of which they have plenty already.  Backtick has exactly one, and
> >> not an often-used one at that... I'm fine with axing it.  Of course,
> >> there are a lot more people in the world then just me.
> >
> > I'm fine with it too. I use it a fair bit but I think it's important
> > to have a very clear mark where you're going to an external program
>
> Not when you're writing a quick one-liner.  Maybe stdout capturing
> backticks should be disallowed when using strict, but allowed on the
> command line.[1]

Let me clarify before this thread takes off.  We had a long discussion
about the role of backticks back in April.  Larry weighed in after a
long, long consideration.  Here's the answer:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20040420175551.GA16162%40wall.org&rnum=1clarify
 before this thread takes off.  We had a long discussion about the role of
backticks back in April.  weighed in after a long, long consideration.  Here's
the answer:clarify before this thread takes off.  We had a long discussion
about the role of backticks back in April.  weighed in after a long, long
consideration.  Here's the answer:

It says that backticks won't be used at all in Perl 6.  That's (the) one
key of the keyboard that we're leaving to user-definition.

You can spare a few extra characters in a command line script.  Don't be
afraid.  They won't bite.

Oh, and anything you have to say about them has already been said back
in April.

Luke