On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:29:14 -0600, Rod Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Larry Wall wrote:
>
> >That, and we'd like a novice to be able to write
> >
> >    given $x {
> >       when 1 | 2 | 3 {...}
> >       when 4 | 5 | 6 {...}
> >    }
> >
> Or just change C<when> to accept a list of things to compare against,
> followed by a coderef.

Well, I don't think anyone can argue that having ~~ behave properly
with junctions is wrong. After all, we can make it do whatever we
want.

$foo ~~ 1 | 2 | 3

Perhaps we can make ~~ an even more magical comparison operator.

$x ~~ $y is a huffmanized version of $x ~==~ $y

@x ~<~ $y is a smart-match based on < instead of ==

Or perhaps you can choose on which side the magic works:

@x ~< $y

OK, enough craziness for today.

$foo ~<~ $bar   # uses C<lt> for strings, C<+<>for numbers, voodoo for
junctions, etc...

Ashley