On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 07:46, Juerd wrote:
> Can we together compile a list of accepted abbreviations, so they can be
> consistently applied?

Are you suggesting that these are accepted by the compiler or by us (for
discussion)?

> Some may be source of discussion, in which case I think it's better to
> pick one -perhaps against someone's preference- than to use a dozen
> abbreviations for the same thing. One such example is "regex", which
> used to be spelled by most as "regexp". (Yes, I know we're using rules
> now... :).)

This makes it sound like you mean us, not the compiler. I'll work with
that assumption.

You can decide to use whatever you like, but if you're honestly
expecting that people participating in this mailing list are going to
use your favorite abbreviations, you're the kind of person I think we
should have more of in the world: optimists (opmst for short). ;-)

Seriously, do any of us have a hard time making out what someone means
if they say "regexp" vs "regex"?

What's more, I'd rather you didn't w comments with single-letter
abbreviations, as it would make it much harder for me to r.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith