Matt skribis 2005-04-22 14:44 (-0400):
> We're talking about the *built-in* functions here, right?

I don't know.

> Anyway, is there any other URI scheme besides for mailto: that doesn't use
> <://>?

I don't know, but if you want to find this out,
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes is probably a good starting
point.

> mailto isn't something you can "open" really, for read at least.

No, but writing to it ought to simplify things :)

    given open 'mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]' {
        .say(q0:to<.>
            Subject: Useful mailto open

            Hello, world!
            .
        );
        .close or fail;
    }

> If it's for built-in, then only the most common protocols would be defined
> I imagine.

No, if it's built in, we should stick to the spec and interpret every
^\w+: (roughly - see RFCs for syntax specifics) as a scheme.

> >>Also, I don't know much about rules with regex yet, but could you do
> >>something like...
> >>    multi sub open ($u of Str where /<protocol(file)>/, [EMAIL PROTECTED])
> >> returns
> >>Handle {...}
> >>Where < <protocol(file)> > expands to < file:// >
> >Yes, but it's probably easier to just use a hash: %protocol<file>.
> Easier or more efficient?

Yes.

Juerd