> We should approach this from the perspective that $fh is an iterator, so
>   the general problem is "how do we navigate a random-access iterator?".

Well - I kind of thought that $fh was a filehandle that knew how to behave
like an iterator if asked to do so.  There are too many applications that
need to jump around using seek.

The options that need to be there are:
   seek from the beginning
   seek from the end
   seek from the current location

Now it could be simplified a bit to the following cases:

  $fh.seek(10);  # from the beginning forward 10
  $fh.seek(-10); # from the end backwards 10
  $fh.seek(10, :relative); # from the current location forward 10
  $fh.seek(-10, :relative); # from the current location backward 10

Paul