At 9:27 PM -0700 7/10/05, Jonathan Leffler wrote:
This is not what DBI deals with - it deals more nearly with the CLI syntax, where that is not, as far as I know, permitted.

My impression of DBI is that it is a stand-in of sorts for a SQL CLI, and does or should do all of the same sorts of things. Each time you run a SQL statement, it is like typing said statement into a CLI. (In fact, I seem to recall that DBI ships with a simple SQL CLI program that runs on top of it, and that has an almost 1:1 mapping.) DBI abstracts the CLI a bit by providing things like connect() methods rather than having users execute 'CONNECT TO ...' SQL, but that doesn't really change what I've said. So DBI is basically the same as CLI but that it is easier for programmers to use by replacing an input terminal with functions. In that context, the :foo syntax corresponds to what bind_var() etc maps to.

If anyone wants to use my hyperlinked HTML version of the standard SQL syntax, let me know and I'll make it available for download on a website. I updated it last week, so the version I have at home isn't current (though most people wouldn't notice the change - it was very minor and solely related to formatting).

Please do that. So far I have had the drudgery of manually scrolling through a 1000+ page PDF document to look up things. Your version should be much faster. This said, does it include what page in the original the info came from, so I can correlate them in reference documentation?

-- Darren Duncan