On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:56:32PM +0200, Ingo Blechschmidt wrote:
> Maybe we should just hardcode the filehandles-leaking-into-runtime case
> in the compiler? And, if the compiler can't detect the problem at
> compile-time, just throw a runtime exception?
>
>     my $fh = BEGIN { open "some_file" };
>     =$fh;  # "Can't readline() on unopened filehandle leaked
>            # from compile-time into runtime, try to..."
>
> Opinions?

Aren't filehandles just part of a more general case of the compiler
serialising something out to the bytecode on disk that can't actually be
serialised? So the attempt at serialisation of a file handle, directory
handle, database handle, shared memory handle or any other external resource
should fail? (Unless that resource class has a viable serialise/deserialise
system)

Nicholas Clark