-----Original Message-----
From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I can state the compelling reason for this one -- it's way too
confusing when $1, $2, $3, etc. correspond to $/[0], $/[1], $/[2], etc.

>In many discussions of capturing semantics earlier in the year,
nearly everyone using $1, $2, $3 in examples, documentation, and
discussion was having trouble with off-by-one errors.  This includes
the language designers, and even those who were advocating staying
with $1, $2, $3.  Once we switched to using $0, $1, $2, etc.,
nearly all of the confusion and mistakes disappeared.

Okay, this I buy. There's a cost to it, but it's worth it.