On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Stevan Little wrote:

Well, the point is that it is interesting to note that "text processing" is an _application area_, whereas "OO programming" is a programming language paradigm.

Allow me to clarify.

Perl 5 (and below) are known by outsiders (non-perl users) as being a really good language for processing text. Ask any friend you know who has had little or no exposure to Perl and they will probably tell you this. Of course they will also tell you that it is all line noise, etc, etc etc. This is the most common perception of Perl by those people who have (for the most part) never encountered it.

ack!

I think that Perl 6 may become like that for OO. When people who have never used or encountered Perl 6 talk about it, they will say, "I've never used it, but I hear it has lots of really cool OO features". Just as now they the same thing re: text-processing.

I see your point. And I admit I slightly misunderstood you. In any case people who don't know Perl and think it's great for text processing may be eventually become interested in it if they will have to do... ehm... text processing.

But even if Perl will gain a name for it's "cool OO features", will it become an actual interest for someone if he/she has to do... OO stuff?!? The basic idea being that one is attracted by a language or another if its features are well suited for some specific application he/she has in mind. Not for its features as an abstract thing.

Also, Perl6 OO capabilities are already above the top of my head. But maybe that's just me. Whatever, I guess that the {casual,average} programmer may be scared by its richness and complexity.

After all, being known for text processing capabilities may be somewhat restictive and not faithful of Perl's (including Perl 5) full potentiality,

Of course not, Perl is also used for CGI, but you can do that better with Java now (which is a real language cause it's compiled)

Of Perl is IMHO even _too_ known for CGI.

but "OO programming" is somewhat immaterial either, the "only" relevance being the suitability for big projects management.

The idea that OO is only relevant for big projects is just as silly as saying that Perl is only good for text processing.

ack. I was oversimplifying.

Sure I would not use OO to write a small utility script, but the modules I access in the script would probably be written using OO. And those may be very small modules too, but their re-usability is greatly enhanced by various OO features (encapsulation, ability to compose-into or use within another class, etc etc etc). This kind of thing (IMHO) is why so many people are being drawn to Python and Ruby. Hopefully Perl 6 can draw them back.

Also, some methods will be very handy even for non-patently-OO blocks, e.g. the .pos() one which will replace the somewhat ad hoc pos() function or the .subst() one (or whatever it is called, I can't remember exactly) which hopefully will get rid of the "why doesn't s/// work inside a map()" question...

Michele
--
Have you ever stopped to consider that what is crashing
your Perl is sitting between the keyboard and chair?