On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:57:10AM -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
> On 10/24/05, H.Merijn Brand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:49:51 -0400, Joshua Gatcomb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > FEAR: Perl6 internals will be just as inaccessable as p5
> >
> > paradox. Many people don't find perl5 inaccessible at all
>
> Who?  Do you know anybody who hacks the regex engine?

It happens that Merijn does, partly as a side effect of being an active Perl
5 committer. But assuming that you're questioning his use of "many", then
I agree with you. Few people find perl5 accessible. Mostly as a side effect
of banging their heads at it until it starts to change from inaccessible to
accessible.

And inaccessibility is something that both perl6 and parrot should actively
strive to avoid. Having looked at src/hash.c today, I fear that currently
parrot is showing signs of failing in this.

> I wonder how hard it would be to actually convert perl 5 formats to
> Perl6::Form.  Having never used the former myself, I wouldn't really
> know the order of magnitude of this problem.

It's probably easier to implement strict perl5 formats as a compatibility
module, using the exiting Perl 5 source and parrot's NCI.

Nicholas Clark