On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Larry Wall wrote:
> As for the ¥ pitfall, so far we've intentionally been careful to use
> it only where an operator is expected, whereas \ is legal only where a
> term is expected.  So at least for Perl code, we can translate legacy
> ¥ to different codepoints.  (Whether the Japanese font distinguishes
> them is another issue, of course.  I have a "Unicode" font on my
> machine that prints backslash as ¥, which I find slightly irritating,
> but doubtless will be par for the course in Japan for the foreseeable
> future.  Maybe that's a good reason to allow the doublewith backslash
> as an alias for normal backslash.  Maybe not.)

BTW, the exact same thing happens with the Won sign ₩ on Korean Windows
systems; it is also mapped to 0x5c in the default codepage, and paths
are displayed with the Won sign instead of the backslash as separators.
Just something to keep in mind in case you are tempted to use the Won
sign as a sigil or operator in the future.

Cheers,
-Jan