On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 09:03 -0500, Rob Kinyon wrote:
> I think the difference comes from the Principle of Least Surprise. The
> various operators being discussed in this thread are all operators
> which are in languages that have common use - C, C++, Java, the .Net
> stack, etc. Regexen and the various built-ins are generally considered
> to be Perl-specific, so if they're weird, this is just a Perl-ism. The
> PoLS doesn't apply.
>
> Yes, from a consistency point of view, ALL operators should default to
> $_ or some other sensible item ($*STDIN for <>, etc). However, the
> PoLS does need to guide our decisions.

I think the PoLS should be applied firstmost and foremost to a person
who is learning the language without any preconceptions of how previous
languages work.  The logical building blocks of how the language works
should build on each other; the fewer exceptions relative to *those
foundations* the better.

Specifically, catering for the preconceptions of how the language
behaves as a whole to those trained in lower order languages like you
mention (though is .net a language?) should probably be avoided.

That being said, there are probably other more pressing reasons that ops
should not accept $_ as default; I would guess, for a start, it makes
determining semantics very difficult.  Does  ++; mean &postfix:<++> or
&prefix:<++> ?

Sam.